Art for Impact
ART FOR IMPACT is a community impact initiative of the Rockford Area Arts Council; through our dynamic partnerships and regional talent pool, the Arts Council’s strategic vision of public art in every neighborhood will come to fruition.
ART FOR IMPACT objectives:
- Bolster neighborhood pride
- Create a sense of place, community, and belonging
- Develop public art that draws the attention of residents + visitors
- Reflect the values and priorities of the Rockford Region—diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging
In partnership with the City of Rockford’s Neighborhood Improvement plan, artists are requested to review the potential locations for public art installment and submit their proposals accordingly, taking into consideration the neighborhood’s demographics, ethnic and industrial heritage, and size/proportion as it relates to specific locations. Information about these neighborhoods can be found on the City of Rockford’s website: https://rockfordil.gov/neighborhood-improvement-initiative/
Proposals must include:
- Artist Statement: how does your proposal meet the Arts Council’s ART FOR IMPACT mission statement and objectives
- Proposed location of the installation
- Photos of previous work and proposed work, drawings/renderings are acceptable for the proposed project
- List of materials that will be used; the materials must be able to weather the elements
- Measurements of final sculpture, mural, sign, installment (size and weight, if applicable)
- Budget that includes expenses related to installation, materials, and artist’s time
Screw City Steel: You Belong Here
This project is in its first year of development; it will be an annual community impact initiative with regional, professional artists submitting proposals to paint industrial steel doors in alignment with a predetermined theme; the 2022 theme is YOU BELONG HERE. Screw City Steel will host six regional artists’ work on an annual basis.
The Arts Council is currently taking submissions for its first installment of Screw City Steel: YOU BELONG HERE, 2022. Installation of work will take place from July 5-10, 2022, in Davis Park.
- Six regional artists are selected
- Selected artists receive a $1000 stipend and $200 for supplies, $1200 total
- Selected artists receive promotional marketing through the Arts Council
- Artists will be asked to install their work over a period of six days, outdoors, in Davis Park
- Artists are required to work during daylight hours
- Artists are asked to be approachable to the public and respectful of proximal businesses