Rockford Area Arts Council (RAAC) is committed to increasing the quality and quantity of arts experiences for children and youth. In challenging economic times the arts are in danger of being reduced to a frivolous and unnecessary expenditure. We have experience and data to prove arts education is essential.
The Arts Prepare Students for School, Work, and Life
· The arts equip students with a creative, competitive edge. To succeed in today's economy of ideas, students must masterfully use words, images, sounds, and movement to communicate. The arts provide the skills and knowledge students need to develop the creativity and determination necessary for success in today's global information age.
· Studies by the U.S. Department of Justice researchers demonstrate students who participate in the arts, both in school and after school, show increased academic performance.
Arts in the schools increase test scores and lower dropout rates
· Arts education helps close the achievement gap, improves academic skills essential for reading and language development, and advances students’ motivation to learn.
Data from The College Board shows
· Students who take 4 years of arts and music classes while in high school score 98 points better on their SATs than students who took only a half year or less.
The Arts Help Close the Achievement Gap
· The arts make a tremendous impact on the developmental growth of every child, leveling the "learning field" across socio-economic boundaries. The arts reach students not otherwise engaged, uniquely bridging the broad spectrum of learning styles. Low achieving students often become high achievers in arts learning settings.
Links to Resources:
Americans for the Arts: Arts Advocacy Toolkit
National Endowment for the Arts/Longitudinal Studies on arts and student achievement
Arts Alliance Illinois
We need arts advocates to make a case for the arts.
Help RAAC advocate for the arts through informing yourselves of the importance of the arts, voicing your concerns to elected representatives, and sharing this information with family and friends.